Planning & Zoning

The Planning and Zoning Commission performs a variety of services intended to protect, maintain, and develop an attractive, safe, and healthy environment. Primary functions address property development and land use activities occurring in the City. 

Responsibilities & Meetings

The Planning and Zoning Commission provides direction and leadership in implementing the goals, objectives, and policies of the City as adopted by the City Commission. Planning and Zoning meets whenever they have an agenda requiring action.

Zoning Information & Applications

Conditional Use requests are those zoning "exceptions" to the zoning code that are deemed to be temporary. Examples would be allowing a short term business in a residential property; allowing a mobile home to be placed in an R-1 Residential zone; etc.

Residents complete the Conditional Use Application and submit it to the Planning and Zoning Commission. A Public Hearing is scheduled and residents within 200 feet of the property are invited to attend and make comments.

At the conclusion of the Public Hearing, the Board of Zoning Appeals has two options. They can either recommend approval, or recommend denial, to the City Commission. The City Commission will then consider the recommendation at their meeting and make a decision for or against the application.

Download Conditional Use Application

The Board of Zoning Appeals reviews all requests for Zoning Variances. A Public Hearing is held to discuss the request and to garner information. Residents within a 200 foot radius are notified of the Public Hearing and invited to attend to express their point of views.

Upon conclusion of the hearing, the Board can either approve the request, deny the request, or table it for additional review.

Download Variance Application

Download the zoning map to see what areas are zoned for residential, industrial and other purposes.

Download Zoning Map

To request rezoning of an area, fill out the Zone Change Application form and submit it to the City Clerk's office.

A Public Hearing must be scheduled and all owners of property within 200 feet of the property in question must be notified of the hearing. The hearing cannot take place until 20 days after publication. After the conclusion of the Public Hearing, fourteen days must elapse before the application may be placed before the Neodesha City Commission. This is the time allowed for the filing of a protest petition. If the Neodesha City Commission disagrees with the recommendation made by the Planning Commission, the application must then go again before the Planning Commission for further study and review. If the application is approved by the Commission, an ordinance is passed to rezone the property. Please note, however, that this process is not complete until the ordinance has been officially published.

Download Zone Change Application

Every owner or operator of a home-based business must secure a home occupation permit from the city administrator or his or her designee, which permit shall be issued on a yearly basis, with each permit expiring on December 31 of each year.

Download Home-Based Business Application